The African Group of Ambassadors in Beijing present its compliments to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China and International Department of the Communist Party of China and has the honour to as a follow up of a meeting with a selected African Ambassadors held on Thursday, 9th April, 2020 strongly protest the ongoing forceful testing and quarantine and maltreatment of African Nationals in China and in Guangdong Province in particular .
The Group of African Ambassadors appreciates the excellent relations between China and our respective African countries dating back in the Africa’s liberation struggle, Africa’s support to China, especially in securing the permanent seat of the United Nations Security Council. This collaborative effort also manifested in the ongoing fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and the various assistance extended to our countries by the Communist Party of China under the leadership of H.E Xi Jinxing.
It is therefore worrisome, following this excellent cooperation and mutual friendship that, the African Group of Ambassadors observes with consternations the discrimination and stigmatization of Africans whereby they are made to forcefully, and in a very crude manner to undergo epidemic investigation and Nucleic Acid Test, fourteen (14) days quarantine even if they had not travelled outside their jurisdictions, not come into contact with infected persons, not had close contact or showing any symptoms of the COVID-19.
● African nationals ejected including Togolese, Nigerians, and Benenois from their hotels in the middle of the night only because they are Africans;
● A group of African students studying in Sun-Yat Sen University in Guangzhou were made to undergo the Nucleic Acid Test, in spite of the fact that they had no travel history within the stated period.
● Selective testing of African students while their non African colleagues are left out.
● There were cases of African men married to Chinese ladies and they were demanded to take the COVID-19 test and their Chinese families left out. In some cases the men were pulled out of their families and quarantined in hotels alone.
● Forced evictions of Africans from their various apartments and thrown into the streets even those with infant children.
● Seizure of passports of African nationals in violation of international practices and conventions
● Persistent harassment and humiliation of African nationals by subjecting them to unwarranted medical examinations after testing negative for the COVID-19, and forced into quarantine, irrespective of their negative status;
● Threats of revocation of visas, arrest, detention and deportation of African legal migrants for no cogent reason which infringes on their human rights
BEIJING, 10th APRIL, 2020
THE HON. MINISTER
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA BEIJING
THE VICE MINISTER INTERNATIONAL DEPARTMENT COMMUNIST PARTY OF CHINA CHINA
ALL AFRICAN MINISTERS OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR-GENERAL, THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL, GENEVA
DIRECTOR-GENERAL, AFRICAN DEPARTMENT, PRC, MFA DIRECTOR- GENERAL, CONSULAR DEPARTMENT, PRC, MFA
DIRECTOR-GENERAL – GUANGDONG PROVENCIAL FOREIGN OFFICE
CC: THE CHAIR PERSON AFRICAN UNION