· We call upon PRC authorities to immediately release all members of the “Hong Kong 12” and permit them to depart the country.
· Their so-called “crime” was to flee tyranny. Communist China will stop at nothing to prevent its people from seeking freedom elsewhere.
· Article 13 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) clearly provides that “everyone has the right to leave any country, including [their] own.”
· The treatment by PRC authorities of these 12 individuals, some of whom are underage, has been appalling. Since their apprehension in August, they have been denied access to lawyers of their own choosing and visits from family.
· Beijing authorities continue their campaign to stamp out the remaining rights and freedoms of the people of Hong Kong, falsely equating their system of rule by party decree with the rule of law.
· We call on Beijing and the Hong Kong government to abide by their international obligations and commitments and to respect the human rights and fundamental freedoms of the people of Hong Kong.
· The U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou has requested permission to observe the hearing in accordance with established procedures.